Sunday, February 10, 2008

Minority Cartoonist plan Crossover



If you reguarly look at the comics pages in the Sunday paper, you may have noticed a crossover (a story line that runs through multiple comic strips on the same day). This one standout because it is the minority cartoonist's voice. What do they have to say? Only that they are not all interchangeable (imagine that). Check out this quote from Cory Thomas of the strip "Mama's Boyz:"

"In my opinion, and I know I'm not alone, when it comes to equality, the comics pages are still way behind other forms of entertainment. When I first created Mama's Boyz back in 1992, the two biggest blockades were "it's too much like Curtis," and 'people in the midwest will not be able to relate.' Fortunately for me, a lot has changed in the past 15 years. Now I hear 'it's too much like Boondocks, and people in the Midwest won't be able to relate!' When, thank God for change or I may have lost my mind years ago. In fact, I went out of my way to create a strip that didn't have kids in it, and still heard that it was too much like Boondocks."


For all the progress we seem like we are making in this world, this still exists, in something as wholesome (and possibly cut-throat) as the comic pages.

No comments: